Saturday, March 21, 2009

Church in a War Zone

I made it to Mass at the Enduring Faith Chapel (presumably a takeoff on Operation Enduring Freedom) for the first time tonight (which for mathematicians in the crowd means that yes, I've missed a few weeks).  The chapel is about a 5 minute walk and if I'd been thinking ahead, I would have brought my camera to snap a few photos - maybe next week
It's kind of an interesting experience going to church here - I have to say I was struck by some of the similarities as well as some of the differences.
To start with, like many of the priests back home, English is not the primary language of the priest here.  Like Mass on Long Island, but very much UNlike Mass in Texas, speed was definitely a priority.  At the start of the homily, the priest assured us he would be brief.  And, true to his word, we were done in just under 45-minutes, which by the way, he himself announced just before the closing prayer.  He did, however mention, on more than one occasion, that starting with Palm Sunday, we're in for some long days.
Growing up on Long Island, I can recall times at church when we paused for the noise of the airplanes making their approach to JFK.  Well, the was no pausing tonight.  And instead of the sound of 747s carrying weary travelers back from Europe, it was the sound of F-15s taking off with afterburners alight.
In addition to the primarily US crowd, there were several Coalition members present as well.  There must be a fairly regular contingent of folks from India because we paused for them to say the Our Father in their native language.
No kneelers in this church, a little rough on the knees - another deployment hardship I'll have to overcome.
And, I can honestly say this was the first time in my life that I was packing heat when I went to Mass.  It's definitely strange to look around and see people armed when you're at Mass.  There are also racks in the back of the chapel for people to park their M-16s.  Add to that walking out the front door and seeing Humvees parked around while the sound of swirling helicopter blades fills the air.
Needless to say, one thing remains constant - I continue to pray for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment